Hangzhou English Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Etymologically Attracted to English Vocabulary Part 2 ( Inad

3 posters

Go down

Etymologically Attracted to English Vocabulary Part 2 ( Inad Empty Etymologically Attracted to English Vocabulary Part 2 ( Inad

Post  Vincent Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:22 pm

cheers 刚才在拜读Roger Dawson的关于谈判技巧的大作”Ask for More Than You Expect to Get”, 看到这样一句话,What concerns me is that when you're involved in a negotiation, you are inadvertently creating
deadlocks, because you don't have the courage to ask for more than you expect to get. 感觉inadvertently这个词非常面熟,但是一时又想不起具体的意思。这个词我应该碰过不下五次了,一直感觉不亲切也不好记。Inadvertently,in表示否定,相反的意思,不再话下,tently构成副词,亦不必深究,关键是要搞清楚adver的意思。看看了,觉得像advise和advertise,如何和前者组合起来,就是未被告知地,不知情地;如果和后者组织起来,advertise的语源我还记得,是to give attention,那么组合起来就是
没注意地,两个组合的意思看起来差不多啊。。。

于是我查看了inadvertently的语源,觉得最后出来的结果因为和我猜测的差不多。 上面是这样解释的:

inadvertently
1678, lit. "inattentively," hence "unintentionally;" ult. from inadvertence (1568), from Scholastic L. inadvertentia, from in- "not" + advertentia, from L. advertere "to direct one's attention to," lit. "to turn toward" (see advertise).

原来是advertise,是in- "not" + advertentia-"to direct one's attention to,"

且看它是怎么解释advertise的

advertise
c.1430, "to take notice of," from M.Fr. advertiss-, prp. stem of a(d)vertir "to warn," from L. advertere "turn toward," from ad- "toward" + vertere "to turn" see versus). Original sense remains in advert "to give attention to." Sense of advertise shifted to "give notice to others, warn" (1490) by influence of advertisement, which meant "public notice (of anything, but often of a sale)" by c.1460. The modern, commercial meaning was fully developed by 18c.

广告就是要吸引人的注意力,让人“转过身去看”。

那么,这样一来,inadvertently的意思就很好理解了。Not to direct one’s attention to 且看牛津的解释

inadvertently
adv by accident; unintentionally 偶然地; 非故意地; 无意地: She inadvertently telephoned the wrong person. 她无意中打错了电话.
下面是朗文的例句,供你背诵

In a panic, I inadvertently pushed the accelerator instead of the brake.

The construction crew inadvertently cut through a telephone cable.

The Finance Minister inadvertently revealed budget secrets to reporters.

The problem was caused by a worker who inadvertently contaminated the coffee machine by cleaning it with a toxic substance.

Sentences from books, newspapers, etc.

But inadvertently, through the inventions its findings make possible.

By the way, I really must correct a false impression that I inadvertently gave just now.

In creating one she has inadvertently made a move towards alternative methods of selling that could have great significance for organic farming.

Of course it was Trondur who inadvertently cheered me up.

Some parenting patterns inadvertently support aggressive behavior in more subtle ways.

Strong repression of one emotion often succeeds inadvertently in suppressing the desire as well.

This could inadvertently promote a simplistic zoning pattern in local authority policies

下面是网上的一些例句,翻译质量不敢保证,供你背诵。

As they passed, Tschaikovsky inadvertently looked up and straight into the eyes of
Madame von Meck.
当两驾车相互擦过的时候,柴可夫斯基无意中抬起头来直直地盯着梅克夫人的眼睛。

Inadvertently the paper added a comma to the ad, which read instead:"Horse, saddle and bridle for $50."
无意中报纸在广告语中加了个逗号,读起来成这样了,“50元卖马,马鞍和马缰绳。
If you write to me and don't get a reply within a week, write again, I sometimes, inadvertently, loose a few letters.
如果你写信给我,在一个星期内没有收到回信,请再发给我,我有时无意中漏掉了少数信件

All journal authors, if inadvertently violated your copyright, please write and tell judge will delete three working days.
版权归作者所有,如果无意中侵犯了您的版权,请来信告知,本站将再3个工作日内删除。
A health care organization could face significant litigation if health care records were inadvertently released or stolen.
如果卫生保健院的记录数据因疏忽而被公开或者被盗,那么该院可能面临严重的诉讼。

我想这样我再也不会忘记这个单词的意思了,而且会在今后inadvertently用用它,消化他。Roger Dawson的这本书也非常好,有需要PDF版本的可以向我索取。

Vincent
Admin

http://www.ohiti.com

Back to top Go down

Etymologically Attracted to English Vocabulary Part 2 ( Inad Empty Re: Etymologically Attracted to English Vocabulary Part 2 ( Inad

Post  Pipi Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:45 am

You probably should do a master degree in linguistic, I'm no kidding

Pipi

http://pandaxpanda.blogbus.com

Back to top Go down

Etymologically Attracted to English Vocabulary Part 2 ( Inad Empty Re: Etymologically Attracted to English Vocabulary Part 2 ( Inad

Post  Vincent Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:24 pm

Maybe I should, so I can teach the native how to memorize English vocabularies.

Vincent
Admin

http://www.ohiti.com

Back to top Go down

Post  alex_wang Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Language expert, hehe

alex_wang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down