Hangzhou English Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WC is a perfect translation for public toilet in China

3 posters

Go down

WC is a perfect translation for public toilet in China Empty WC is a perfect translation for public toilet in China

Post  Vincent Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:55 am

There are a bunch of people out there in 19lou criticizing WC as a stupid translation for toilet in public. You can get it in here: http://www.19lou.com/forum-89-thread-9629495-1-1.html.

It's so not fair to ridicule WC. So I posted my opinion:

As to the WC, I guess you guys are just getting judgemental against the translation to make yourself look good but end up with quite the opposite.

The fact that, these year, WC is no longer on signs of a toilet in English speaking countries and become obsolete due to its obvious indication of the process of discharge of human waste doesn't mean that it's poor or wrong translation in the first place. I don't think the orginal translator of WC is a dumb whose English is awful, cos when it fisrt appeard on signs in China, the native were still using them, and he must got his reason to translate it that way. Maybe becoz it's conspicuous, easy to be understood by Chinese people, it looks good to be put on sign plate. The fact that it still hasn't disappears in China proves that its a good translation. Besides, WC is very concise, and you know, concision is a "virtue" when it comes to using sign language.

Why should we change it to loo, toilet, washroom , lavatory or anything g in case it still works so well in China? What if a farmer like me just cannot get what "Loo" means when he is in urgent need for taking a leak but end up with seeking "WC" all over the city? Have you ever fkin think about that?

The long existence of WC speaks for himself. If you are not that delicate woman who would use "answer the cellphone" or " go make up" as a euphemism for 上厕所or take a leak, you'd be better off tolerating the existence of blunt translation WC.

Vincent
Admin

http://www.ohiti.com

Back to top Go down

WC is a perfect translation for public toilet in China Empty Re: WC is a perfect translation for public toilet in China

Post  Pipi Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:42 am

Here people usually just say "go to the toilet" or "go to the loo", or something really simple Rolling Eyes

Pipi

http://pandaxpanda.blogbus.com

Back to top Go down

WC is a perfect translation for public toilet in China Empty Re: WC is a perfect translation for public toilet in China

Post  hao Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:09 pm

I think translation is as good as the majority acknowledges it. To me, WC is so easy to remember that it had been deeply rooted in my mind even before I could write "厕所" correctly. Also, some of those who do not even recognize a single English letter may understand what WC refers to, while they most probably have no idea about the meanings of "toilet", "restroom", "loo", etc. It's totally cool if one chooses to use more "civilized" or "commonly used" words, but to slander a symbol that has been so widely used in our nation seems to be too extreme.

hao

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:32 am

how did you find your way here? I haven't logged in for ages.

Vincent
Admin

http://www.ohiti.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum